Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Did That Seriously Just Happen?

I have quite the story from Church a few Sundays back. One of those stories that can be passed down to future generations to scare young children into getting married early so they don't have to deal with singles wards.

Here is the story that takes the cake of pure singles wards awkwardness/awesomeness:

Two Sundays ago I was filing into Sacrament meeting and spotted my roommates at our usual spot (3rd row back, middle section). The row was unusually crowded so I decided to sit one row up, but on the opposite end of the row from my roommates, where there was an empty spot. I sat down next to a random boy that I'd never seen before and didn't pay much attention. I chatted with one of my guy friends behind me until Sacrament started and then turned back around. Once Sacrament started random-boy made the comment that he liked my fingernails and toenails (they were painted an awesome shade of pinkish/orange) and I thanked him... then he asked what the ward building's address was, so I handed him my program (luckily it had the address). That was all our interaction. ALL.

Once the first speaker started into her talk, I noticed that his hand was awkwardly palm up on the bench next to me and he was slightly wiggling his fingers. I thought "hmm that's weird, it kind of looks like he wants to hold my hand." I ignored it, because there was NO way that was what he was trying to do (since we didn't even know each other). After ignoring the icky, wiggling hand for a while, he started to become more persistant and started nudging my leg with his thumb. The first time it happened, I thought "that's awkward, I wonder if he meant to touch my leg?" (apparently I'm very naive)... then he nudged it again. This time I knew it was on purpose and I sat forward to grab my ward bulletin to pretend to "read" and hopefully give random -boy the hint to leave me the freak alone. But no, I guess random-boy can't take a hint because when I sat back up he leaned towards me and asked "can i hold your hand"?

WOW. Just wow. I can give some pretty disgusted faces and I'm pretty sure I, unintentially, gave him a horribly disgusted face and said "I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU!"

Once I turned him down, he moved his knees away from me and leaned forward (I'm guessing to get away from me?)... and I started giggling silently to myself, thinking "Did that SERIOUSLY just happen?"

And nope, I still don't know random-boy's name. We didn't talk to each other again for the rest of Sacrament (thankfully) and I escaped once the closing prayer was said.

Was that the end of the story? I WISH!

This Sunday I had basically forgotten all about hand-holding boy and went into Sacrament. I plopped down at my usual spot and was chatting with my roommate when I noticed somebody coming to sit by my. You better believe it was random-boy. He didn't say anything to me when he sat down, and I did NOT want to go through another Sacrament meeting with him hitting on me, so I made an excuse to get up to talk to a girl a few rows away... and sat somewhere else.

2 comments:

Christa said...

Wow. I wonder why he's single. Isn't it funny how many wonderful women we have that are single in the church and such a sad selection of older single men? Fight the good fight, Berkley!

Pepper said...

hahahaHAHAH! what the.... I'm so sorry Berkley, what is wrong with people?